Friday, November 16, 2012

Ode to Thanksgiving

Slap hands! It's high five Friday.

I love the Fall/Winter.  The weather, the clothes, the festivities! I especially love the holidays!  This week our lifegroup had a Thanksgiving feast.  This was another reminder of how much I love community.  And food.  I'm not really a foodie, but I love some good southern holiday food! There is something so right about eating dressing (stuffing, in case you're confused) and my mom's sweet potatoes. I've been known to refuse to make something, like mashed potatoes, in April because it's not the holidays... It makes sense in my sentimental head. Here are my top five favorite holiday foods.

5. Dressing. I make the dressing in my family.  My hands are the mixers. Cornbread, toast, sage, boiled egg, turkey drippings... what's not love?!? I'm not sure if I like it more raw or cooked. You can stop gagging now.

4. Layer salad. Water cress for crunch, peas for sweetness, and mayonnaise (some people accuse me of being northern for liking it...). Annnd it reminds me of my Grandma Hassell.

3. Buttermilk pie.  If you've never had this, please come to my house and have some immediately.  You will never be the same!

2. Sweet potatoes. My mom's are by far, hands down the best. I'm not hating on the marshmallow topped, but her brown sugar/pecan goodness is like heaven in my mouth. And Harper will be having her first McBrayer sweet potatoes next week. Stay tuned for how it goes...

1. Mashed potatoes. The best, most satisfying, and utterly delicious food on the planet.  I'm not exaggerating.  My mouth is watering right now just thinking about it. Allison, if you're reading this, double the recipe this year!

I wanted to add canned cranberry sauce to this list, but I didn't want you to judge me. Now you know.

Maybe I should expand my list. What's your favorite holiday food?

Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment